Thursday, June 27, 2013

Some observations...

So after touring London for about 9 hours I have come up with a few of my own personal observations, and I have decided to make an ongoing list os some of the things I notice about London in comparison to the United States. If you have ever been and disagree with me please speak up. This is just what I think so far: 

One: The way people drive here gives me panic attacks.
Seriously... cars get within inches of one another, and there are not big roads like I am accustomed to back at home. I have so much respect for those that choose to drive in this city. Today we saw a man on a bike get hit by a car, and I feel like that is not too uncommon. It is so crowded and scary. I just cannot...

However... Two: Public transportation here is amazing.
The Underground rail and trains here go above and beyond any form of public transportation we have in the United States. It is the most effective way of navigating through the city and probably the least expensive.



Three: Personal style here is so intriguing.
Everyone has a very eclectic wardrobe, and for the most part nobody seems to really match. I saw a woman with a crochet sweater (like granny squares...) a black skirt, orange tights, and a green scarf. Everyone's style seems quite original and I sense a hipster-flair. This is nice because everyone seems comfortable being adventurous and figuring out their own sense of personal style, and it is not as follow-the-trend like it is in the United States (if that makes sense). Personal staples: black tights and slouchy boots. I have seen these everywhere.

Four: Literally, EVERYONE SMOKES.
I was so surprised, I knew that in Europe it was common for people to smoke, but it seemed I couldn't pass a single person on the sidewalk today that was not carrying a cigarette. It makes me curious as to why Europeans smoke so much in comparison to Americans (not saying Americans do not smoke, but I feel like it is more frowned upon in America than here).

Five: Bus Tours are a trap!
Whatever you do, do not do it. Cost for a tour around London run around 29 pounds, and that is way too expensive when it comes down to what you actually get for your money. The tours take you through the city while you plug in complementary headphones into a box attached to your seat. The box plays music (Greensleeves over and over...) advertising, and now and then you will learn a fact. London traffic is the worst so it can take one hour to go stop and go for 6 or 7 blocks. Not worth it. Walk.


2 comments:

  1. I love your observations. I didn't pay much attention to style, though I noticed the men were always well dressed. Also, I agree with one and two! The Underground is the best! (Mind the Gap!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea, do you have any observations you'd like me to add :)

      Delete