Friday, June 28, 2013

London Day 2

London Day 2
06/28/13


Today it rained, but it was not too bad because 1) I expected it to rain a lot and 2) it made everything beautiful. When the sun came out the streets and buildings were glistening and the cool breeze felt refreshing. I could actually get use to this weather...

I came prepared with my rain jacket! 




Today I began to truly "experience" London. I took the tube (The Underground) from the Paddington Station to the Westminster Station and got to walk around Parliament Square and see Big Ben, and tour Westminster Abbey (if you want to see my photos click the link I posted which will redirect you to another one of my blog posts). 


The beauty of Westminster Abbey took my breath away. It was stunning! I stood by the burial sites of monarchs such as Anne of Cleves, Charles II, Edward I and Elanor of Castile, Edward III and Philippa of Hainault, Edward the Confessor and Edith, Edward V, Edward VI, Elizabeth I, George II and Caroline, Henry III, Henry V and Catherine de Valois, Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, James I and Anne of Denmark, Mary I, Mary II, Mary Queen of Scots, Richard II, William III
The names in bold are the ones I am explicitly studying in my courses at the University of Cambridge, so it was especially chilling standing by their graves.
Not just royals were buried or commemorated at Westminster, in fact other intellectuals like Charles Darwin, Issac Newton, and Percy Shelley were those among the aisles. 
It sure seems like Westminster Abbey is just a gigantic mausoleum, however it is also host to 38 coronations from William the Conquerer in 1066 to Elizabeth II June 1953. And not to mention, the location where recently Prince William and Kate Middleton said "I do." 


After a couple hours at Westminster we stopped for a traditional English lunch. Fish and chips anyone? The joint we went to was recommended from a local Londoner, and the fish was more delicious than I anticipated!




Our next destination was The London Eye
The view from up there was spectacular. The structure itself was gigantic and while I was up there a couple in my pod got ENGAGED! 

Our last stop before the day was done was the London Bridge (not what I was expecting, it just looks like a typical bridge because it has "fallen down" over four times) and the The Tower Bridge.



So far I am in love with London and I want to get all that I can out of my days here before we leave to other sites like Oxford, Stone Henge, Cardiff, Hampton Palace Court, Canterbury, and Edinburgh Scotland. My jet lag is almost completely gone (thank you Melatonin). 

I am missing everyone back home! Your post cards have been purchased and I am going to start writing them and sending them as soon as I can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment