Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wales

Day 10

sorry this post is a day late, I was without wifi (which you will read more about soon)

Wow, these ten days in the UK have flown by so fast! I feel incredibly lucky for the time I have been able to spend traveling and learning and I very much look forward to the next 4 1/2 weeks that I am here.
I am not getting too home sick yet, maybe because I am used to being at college and not going home for months on end, but I do miss being connected with my friends. Because I do not have an international cell phone plan, I am completely reliant on the availability of free wifi. The place I was staying in Wales only came with 30 minutes complementary wifi and I had to use it all at one time. Therefore, I was without internet and my connection with my friends for almost 2 days (which makes me truly cherish the moments I DO have).

Anyways... today was wonderful! The weather in Cardiff was 75 degrees and sunny. I even got a sun burn! Never did I think when I was going to the UK I would need to pack sunscreen...

Here are some pictures from the castle we visited today.

The original castle was built in the late 11th century by Norman invaders on top of a 3rd century Roman fort. It was (rumored to be) commissioned by William the Conqueror.

By mid-18th century, Cardiff Castle passed into the hands of the Marquesses of Bute, John Stuart. He renovated it turning the castle into a Georgian mansion.
The devine architecture was designed by William Burges who remodelled the castle in a medieval Gothic revival style. There is a lot of symbolism within the castle, and motifs include: time, seasons, fairy-tales (for the children's playroom), and biblical stories.



You know it is considered High Treason (no matter what nationality you are) to kill a swan, and is punishable by 12 years to lifetime in prison??? Now you do...



You can kill peacocks though... no body likes peacocks

SUPER TOURIST








View from the top of the keep looking down!









No comments:

Post a Comment