Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Video tour of my room at Cambridge!


Hi everyone!

So I am sorry that this post has taken so long for me to finally wrap up. I was trying for a couple of hours yesterday to upload the video tour I did for my room here at Cambridge. For reasons unknown to me my camera (and my iphone) were not uploading onto my computer and Blogger was being unsupportive of my video when I finally did get it to upload. The wifi here is super spotty so that could be one of the issues that I am experiencing, but I honestly have no idea.

In addition to my room I thought I would share a little update about what I am doing at Cambridge right now. There are 153 people in the program I am in, and we all come from 32 different countries. I have made many friends already and they come from places like Hong Kong, Australia, Romania, Italy, Mexico, Honduras, and some people from the United States. I am very appreciative of how diverse the program is because at JMU we are not as lucky, so I am taking this opportunity to learn about everyone else's culture.

The courses that I am taking on the Tudors are fantastic. My professor is a brilliant historian with a British accent (duh) and so I find myself constantly leaning in because everything she has to say is so fascinating and it constantly feels like I am in the presence of someone who is being filmed for a documentary. I don't know any other way to describe it. She is so intelligent and knowledgable about the subjects that it is very inspiring just to hear her lecture. There are about 8 students in my Tudor Kings course and 15 girls (no boys!) in my Tudor Queens course. Also, in addition to those, we have a Plenary lecture course every single day either at 10:30am or 8:00pm where a different guest lectures us in a large hall. Lectures range from past prime ministers to mathematicians to heart surgeons to nobel prize winners. Today's lecture was on the future of education and I found it very appropriate for my own personal disciplinary study.

The weather here has continued to be in the mid 70's and sunny so this weekend I think I am going to try and go punting on the River Cam which runs through campus. It is a very popular activity among local students and tourists and I just have to check it off my list before I go home.
It is crazy to think that I am 1/3rd way through my time here in the UK. A couple of friends are trying to get together a trip to Paris on our 4 day weekend but Florence and Barcelona are also on the table.

I am having a great time here but I will be happy to come home too and start up with my practicum classes. I miss you all and hope that everyone is having a great summer!

CHEERS!

PS: If you do wish to receive a post card like I mentioned just facebook message me your address and I will try and send one out to you within the week.


2 comments:

  1. your room is so cute! definitely larger than i was expecting as well! glad you're loving your classes.. it all sounds interesting! which i could be there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I was FINALLY able to watch the video (a full week after seeing it live LOL) but you've done a great job personalizing it! I think you've made the most out of a humble space. And you're RIGHT! A sink is a much more practical thing to have instead of a piano or a fireplace!! Yikes! Only 3 weeks to go and I miss my sweet girl!
    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete